Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Miniature Food Art

"This are not real food? Sure or not?" This was the response I get from my facebook personal account when I post the photographs of the workshop I attended last Saturday. Even my hubby was impressed. In fact, he took one photo of the miniature together with his finger to show how small it was. (Last photo of this post). Little girls could not resist the miniature. One of them was spotted playing with the instructor's display set. (Middle picture of the first photo)

Last Saturday, I was so excited to attend Miniature Food Art organised by the library led by AiClay (http://www.aiclay.com/) to make my favorite Nonya Kueh- Ang Ku Kueh, Kueh Lapis Sagu, Kueh Dadar ( Kueh Ketayap) using polymer clay. The instructor from AiClay even brought a set of real kueh into the class. The smell was very tempting! It provoked a series of loving memories I had for these kueh. I forgot to ask the instructor where she gets the kueh from.

We were showed step by step live using what looked like a microscope which was projected onto a screen. How advanced!

There was even a discount offer to buy their Pocket Kitchen Set for sale. I admit it is very tempting but I do not have the budget. :(
I was pretty excited looking at these miniature cakes and pastries the instructor. Looks like a lot of effort is required.

Most of the items required to make the kuehs are here.
I would not talk more on Ang Ku Kueh since I have blogged on that before. I would blog on the 2 other kueh instead.

I used to like peeling Lapis Sagu layer by layer to eat when I was a child. It is said that by doing that, you are savoring or enjoying your life slowly. When I grow up, I think eating that way is a bit troublesome and I prefered to eat the Indonesian Kueh Lapis instead. Both are made layers by layers. Major difference are Lapis Sagu is more colourful, always 9 layers and is steamed while Kueh Lapis are in 2 tones of brown and is baked.
Grazing Kueh Lapis Sagu and Kueh Dadar after baking. See how many Lapis Sagu I had made but only the best ones will sit on the wooden tray.

Ta-dah! Presenting the Ang Ku Kueh, Kueh Dadar and Kueh Lapis Sagu. So mini and so cute! We can use it as a magnet just by sticking a magnet at the back. Otherwise, it would be a contribution to Little One's Kitchen Play Set.
Kueh Dadar is one of my favorite too! It is a crepe with grated coconut fillings! Yum! Among the 3 miniature nonya kueh that were taught in this workshop, I think this is probably the most difficult to make. I do not know why but the green crepe, which I had made coarse with sandpaper, tend to fold into waves when I was scrapping it gently from the tile. Hence I had some problems trying to unfold the miniature skin. The recipe for this kueh however seemed easy enough to make. Perhaps one day, I would try!

Linking with~

image-in-ingnew button
new button


5 comments:

  1. I have to agree - it looks like a LOT of work to make those miniature foods!!
    Thanks for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/08/bennett-place-bit-of-history.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is beginner standard and I already have problem with the kueh dadar! lol... Yes, a lot of work is needed to perfect the look!

      Delete
  2. So tiny and cuuteeeee!!! Must have been a lot of hard work too. Doubt I'd have the patience and nimble skills for this haha

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka
    Join in: Wordless Wed Linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I had the nimble skill too, Ai! When I distorted the kueh dadar skin, I looked at how others were doing. They had perfect squarish skin while mine was ...errrmmmm... folded like waves and became rectangular. It was a great exposure though!

      Delete
  3. It does look like hard work to create these cute pieces of miniature food. You are good! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...