Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pancakes for breakfast anyone?

I missed having pancake for breakfast, the first time I made them, I used pancake mix. This time, I decided to make it from scratch. It's quite easy. As this recipe doesn't use any leavening, hence, it's a flat pancake. Probably this is how the idiom comes about. I think I am unlikely to add in any fruits or nuts into it for fear it may break under the weight. I need something else to pair up with the plain pancake. I have decided to use honey and my newly made peanut butter.  Below are the flat pancake which I made some time ago. 


Here's the recipe which I've got from the net.

British Pancake

Adapted from About.com!
Ingredients:
  • 1½ cup plain flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2½ cups milk
  • 2 tsp melted unsalted butter and some for cooking
  • pinch of salt

Procedure:-

Pan frying a flat pancake
  1. Sieve flour into a bowl and add a pinch of  salt. 
  2. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the eggs. Beat until smooth . ( I am using fork the beat so it took quite sometime to do it)
  3. Add half the milk and the 2 tsp of butter. Beat again. Add the remaining milk and stir.
  4. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes
  5. Grease the frying pan with a little melted butter just enough to coat the base of pan. Heat until very hot and add a ladle of batter coating the pan evenly and thinly. Cook till set and lightly golden. Flip the pancake over and cook the other side for about 30 seconds.
  6. Remove the pancake and place on a plate. Continue till the batter is used up.
  7. To serve, you can roll it up like a wrap and serve with lemon juice and sugar. This morning, I watch the television and they drizzle it with orange juice! 
I was quite worried when I made the batter. I didn't have a electric beater and have to beat it manually. The outcome of the batter is quite watery and there were some yellowish floating particles. (See below picture) Quite different from the one which I made using pancake mix. I thought, probably, I probably will not succeed in making it this time. Any way, I went ahead making it.

Watery batter

I spent about 1 hr in total making making 12 pancakes. If they are eaten with the peanut butter only, the combination is quite dry. After adding the honey, the taste is completely different and was superb.

Pancake with a drizzle of honey and a dollop of peanut butter

My hubby thought it was too much for the 3 of us. We were very full and couldn't eat much for lunch. Next time, I shall use use only half the portion.

Update: Luckily I went ahead making these pancakes, I just read that British pancakes are supposed to have watery batter. Information from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...