Monday, August 20, 2012

Oh... What a monstrous looking cake!

Does the cake looked scary? My hubby said it looked worse than a person full of acne. Ouch!.... But this cake tasted great! Especially when hot. Even after putting in the fridge and eating it cold. Of course, I don't recommend you to eat it cold. It's best eaten fresh from the steamer. My hubby doesn't like cold food. As for his comment, I am quite used to it. The food I produce usually taste good but don't look good.

Anyway, I was playing around with steaming cakes again. This time a bigger portion just to see whether the cake would raise. I was trying to do an upside down cake with no added sugar. Probably a little too ambitious... heheheh...


Sugarless Blueberry Banana Cake 



Below is the recipe for blueberry banana cake. Yes it's blueberry banana cake again but a larger portion.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup plain flour + extra for coating fruits 
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 4 tbsp oil (any flavourless oil, I used EVOO)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1½ tsp baking soda
  • 2 big ripe banana (mashed) + extra banana cut longitudinally for upside down cake
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries 


Procedure:-


  1. Set up the steamer and boil the water over medium high heat
  2. Whisk the flour, baking soda in a big bowl using fork for about 20 - 30 times. 
  3. Then beat the egg in a separate bowl. Add in milk , oil , orange juice and salt and whisk together
  4. Grease the baking tray  ( I used a deep dish instead and olive oil to grease)
  5. Coat the longitudinally cut banana and some blueberries with extra plain flour
  6. Line the bottom of the baking tray with the coated fruits
  7. Combine the two mixture (pt2 and pt3)and mixed till fully incorporated.
  8. Fold in the blueberries and mashed  banana mix.
  9. Pour the batter into baking tray.Load them into steamer (make sure the water is boiling) and steam for 30-45 min (depending on size of the steam cake)
  10. Use a toothpick or skewer to test whether the cake is ready.
  11. Once it's done, take the cake out and allow to cool.

If you do not want to do upside down cake, you can omit step 5 and 6. I got to know later that in order for fruits not to stuck on the tray, it is better to grease with butter and or covered with sugar.

Then how on earth did my cake got this monstrous appearance? I reserved some blueberries and added on top of my batter after I poured in. Strange thing to do, but I was playing with my food, you see.
My upside down cake was stuck onto the dish! 

Still taste great despite the look of the cake


Conclusion and Tips:

  1. If you are making a cake bigger then the size of a cupcake, don't put topping. It'll probably end up ugly. 
  2. If you are making upside down cake, coat the bottom of tray with butter or sugar.

I would probably try to make another upside down cake but not so soon. Been eating too much cakes recently. This cake was done 2 weeks ago. I had just made another 2 batches of steamed cakes today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...