Friday, May 16, 2014

Flashback Friday: Natural Fruit Paints


These paintings were done when she was 2 years old. They are painted with natural fruit paints. Could you guess which fruits are they?


Why natural paints? 
 I wanted to do a different kind of painting , rather than finger painting all the time. So, I thought it is good to expose her to spray painting. Not the aerosol paint, but some medium that has the same quality of water colour and yet natural enough that I feel safe to re-use my spray bottle again for cleaning the table.  Since we would be using spray bottle, I anticipate that it would be messy, I wanted something that it easy to clean up. So, I thought it would be better to expose fruit paint medium. It is 100% natural. Then, I didn't have to worry that Little One lick the paint or drink it up. 

I made this blueberry juice myself. All debris filtered and hence it is just plain coloured liquid.
Blueberry juice
We did spray painting. This was the first time little one was using a spray bottle. She needed some help. This activity helps develop her motor skill as well. We put a plastic ball somewhere near the middle and created this painting. The paints look purplish at first but turned blue when dry.



Little One helped to mash up raspberries. This again would help improve her motor skills.


Having fun finger painting with raspberry juice. Yah... she was tired of spraying all the time and decided to finger print in the end.

She enjoyed both paintings and it did get messy. Her clothes and face were full of raspberry juice. As this is natural juice, it didn't freak me out. All I need to do is just to bring her in the bathroom for a good bath. Btw, a friendly tip for those who intend to use fruit paints, do flush away as much fruit juice as possible from the stained clothes then soak them for at least 30 minutes  before washing. Then, we wait for the paintings to dry.

Note: As these are natural paints, they do not keep long. After putting up on her art wall for a week, I took a photo of each before I threw them into the bin.

Report Card:-

Suitable Age Group:- Any age

At age 2,
Difficulty level: 3/5 (Level 1 being no or little help is required, Level 5 being very difficult)
                       Need some help with spray bottle.
Safety level : 5/5 (Level 1 being very unsafe, Level 5 being very safe )
Messiness: 5/5 (Quite a number of wash up to do.With the mat, it helps prevent staining the floor with blueberry juice)
Fun Level : 4/5

After Little One saw this post, she wanted to do something similar... Oh well, these fruits aren't cheap in Singapore. I will see what other fruits I can use. Probably I will use Orange Juice the next time round... heh...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting idea you've got there! And yes I got to agree, those fruits aren't very cheap. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...